What Is This New CSU Beer That They’re Pouring at Lazy Dog?
This CSU beer is one of four special beers that Lazy Dog is featuring, as they celebrate brewing programs at universities across the nation. It's great that CSU's Fermentation Science and Technology program is a part of their "Mad Science!" selection.
For so many years, when it came to beer at CSU you only thought of house parties and Ramskeller. A lot has changed since those days. Of course, the Fermentation Science and Technology program at CSU isn't only about beer, but it is a key component.
The nearest Lazy Dog Restaurant closest to Fort Collins and CSU is the one off of I-25 in Westminster in the Orchard Town Center. Not far to try out a very unique beer brewed by future Head Brewers. Not only will Lazy Dog be featuring the CSU beer, but they'll also be donating $5,000 to CSU's Fermentation Science and Technology program.
WHAT IS THE CSU BEER?
CSU's beer is "Spark of Genius," and its being brewed at Melvin Brewing in Wyoming. Personally, I am a big fan of Melvin Brewing, so it adds extra "wow" to the CSU project, for me. The CSU team not only was a part of the creation of the beer, but the logo creation and marketing of the beer.
WHAT KIND OF BEER IS THIS 'SPARK OF GENIUS?'
It's an Extra Special Bitter beer, which means it's hoppy and bitter. This beer's bitterness is derived, mainly, from tea leaves, which sounds very interesting to this beer drinker.
From Lazy Dog's tasting team:
- Visual: Deep ruby amber color, clear with off white head of thick foam that lingers.
- Aroma: Roasty, coffee, dark chocolate, burnt sugar, white pepper, cherry, ethyl hexanoate, licorice, grainy, peanut brittle with dry leaf and damp earthy notes.
- Taste: Caramel sweetness, mild tannic bitterness.
- Mouthfeel/Body: medium body with smooth malty coating mouthfeel, finishes with drying tannic notes.
- Overall Sensory: Rich and roasty with caramel and treacle and drying earthy notes, tea comes through but not overpowering, balanced.